1. How can I add a new version of an existing app?
- Navigate to Content Library.
- Click on the name of the app in question to be directed to the app's overview page.
- Click Upload Version.
- Click Browse or simply drag & drop the .apk.
If your app includes an .obb file, you must upload a zipped folder containing the .apk and the .obb. For more information on .obb files please read this article.
- Once the upload is complete, and provided it was successfully processed without any errors, the version history table in the Versions tab will update to show that this latest version is Available.
2. What are Android's requirements when uploading a new version of an app?
Please ensure the following prior to uploading a new version of your .apk to ArborXR:
- Within the
packageNameof the new version must match the
packageNameof the previous version.
- Within the
versionCodeof the new version must be greater than the
versionCodeof the previous version. In other words,
versionCodemust be rolled forward. For Unity developers, this is the Bundle Version Code in Player Settings.
We recommend releasing the first version of your app with
versionCodeset to 1, then monotonically increase the value with each release, regardless of whether the release constitutes a major or minor release.
versionCodeis not the version number shown in ArborXR's version history table within the Versions tab; that number is set by the
versionName. Therefore, anytime you have a new version of an app and roll-forward the
versionCode, likewise we recommend rolling forward the
versionNamefollowing a numbering convention that makes sense for you and your dev team.
- Sign the new version of your app with the same key that was used to sign the previous version. Create and use a custom keystore and ensure it's used by the entire Android development team and any build machine producing .apk files.
3. Can I deploy one version of my app on certain devices and a different version on others?
Yes. When adding apps to an individual ungrouped device or to a device group, you will be prompted to select the app version as part of the process of adding the app.
- If you select Latest for app version, the latest available version of the app uploaded to ArborXR will be deployed to the individual ungrouped device or device group. If you upload a new version of the app at any point in the future, the individual ungrouped device or device group will automatically be updated with the latest version without any manual intervention.
- If you select a specific version of the app, that version will be deployed to the individual ungrouped device or device group. If you upload a new version of the app at any point in the future, the individual ungrouped device or device group will not automatically update with the latest version.
4. Can I roll back or roll forward versions of an app once the app has been deployed?
- Navigate to the individual ungrouped device or the device group in question.
- Click on the Apps & Files tab.
- Identify the app in question then click on the carrot icon within the Version column to open the version management modal.
- Select the version to roll back or forward to within this modal.
5. If I upload a new version of an existing app, what happens to the devices that have an older version?
It depends on what option you selected when you added that app to the device or device group:
- If you selected Latest for app version, the individual ungrouped device or device group in question will automatically be updated with the latest version of the app in question without any manual intervention.
- If you selected a specific version of the app, the individual ungrouped device or device group will be unaffected. At that point, you will need to follow the steps listed above in #4 to roll forward the version.
6. Can .obb files and .apk files be managed separately?
No. If your new version contains changes only to the .apk or only to the .obb expansion file, you must increment the
versionCode (Bundle Version Code in Unity's Player Settings) of the .apk and upload both files together.
7. Can I share specific versions of apps with other organizations?
Yes. For more information on content sharing please see this article.
Have a suggestion or feature request? We'd love to hear!